Artist Statement
My name is Gabriella Vetrano and I’m a student at Hunter College. Most of my work has been in the realm of nonfiction though I have begun to expand my horizons and explore more fictitious work.
I have a deep admiration for classic cinema, everything from early kinetoscopes to more modern films like Guy Ritchie's Snatch. I'd like my work to elicit a response from viewers; I love telling stories and I want people who view my work to leave satisfied with the story I told. I especially love the use of colors and music to aid in telling the story. This can be traced back to my love of Cinema Paradiso a movie with a wonderful story and beautiful soundtrack. My other influences include Wes Anderson, a director whose distinct aesthetic and use of color I admire. I hope to create an aesthetic and style that is distinctly my own in my work.
Literature has also been a big part of my life and is what first fostered my love of storytelling. I’ve always been especially drawn to fairytales and urban legends though more recently I’ve begun reading more realistic fiction. Among my favorite works are Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and The Perks of Being A Wallflower. Both are coming of age stories with a main characters that feel somewhat separate from those around them; at times it can feel like they're an outsider looking in. This is a characteristic I see in myself and a theme that will likely translate into my work.
No comments:
Post a Comment